Sunday, August 06, 2006

Bodhi Tree Diary: The Courier Mail

From this Sunday onwards I will post a Bodhi Tree Diary entry (named after the bodhi tree of Buddhism) every week in an attempt to make my blog a bit more versatile. It's just a post about what I have been up to during the week or weekend. My current posts on religion and philosophy will continue, along with all my posts on martial arts, fitness and cartoons/manga.



The feeling I get while reading the Courier Mail is about the same as reading this absurd comic strip, except without the chuckling that I get out of the comic. By the way, I am not sure which webpage this comic is from: if you happen to know, please send me the link so I can properly credit its source.

There are two mainstream newspapers in Brisbane - the Courier Mail and The Australian. I have to say that I don't particularly enjoy reading the Courier Mail, especially its Sunday edition. I think it's at least 60% mindless drabble. It's filled with pointless celebrity gossip, banter and sucking up to recently successful people - and with countless useless things like horoscopes and comic strips. If I want to read comics, I buy a comic book - simple as that. Why not replace the comic strips with what really is meant to be in a newspaper - news? Furthermore, The Australian doesn't have comic strips - why should the Courier Mail need them?

What annoys me even more is profound lack of coverage on international news. The front page will always cover some (relatively) unimportant international event, or some local event that not many overseas could really honestly care about. Also, the current conflict between Israel and Hezbollah gets only about 2 pages of coverage near the back of the edition, while there's a whole section on home gardening and fashion spanning at least 6 pages. Peculiar, if not outright silly. Sadly, this is the direction many other newspapers are heading, all over the world. What happened to decent journalism?

If you live in Brisbane and want to read the newspaper, read The Australian. It's not perfect, but a lot better than the Courier Mail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home