Friday, August 04, 2006

Martial Arts - the Ultimate Workout

As I promised I am taking a break today from writing heavily about religion and philosophy. I also started writing up an assignment yesterday for one of my courses and that may take precedence over the religion columns at this blog for a short while.

I believe that whatever style you do, martial arts is the best workout. Let me elaborate. I do three main "types" of training - boxing for aerobic and fighting endurance (I don't actually compete), weight training for strength, muscle power and aesthetics (i.e. looking good and keeping my sixpack), and karate for fighting technique (I always look at other styles, although I formally learn karate and stick with it). In a typical week my schedule will be karate on Sunday and Thursday, weight training on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, a full day rest on Tuesday, and a boxing circuit on Saturday. This usually gives me a fully-rounded workout for the whole week.

If you give it your full devotion and attention in your life's health or self-defence program, martial arts lasts far longer beyond your prime. Whereas the typical man will probably cease to weight-train or box after 50 or 60, it is common to see elders still doing karate, tai chi or other martial arts. Take Yip Man for example. Yip Man was a master of Wing Chun and a teacher of Bruce Lee. If you look at him in his old age, he looks like a complete snap - thin and fragile. Yet no one could defeat him in sparring - he was so skilled not even Bruce Lee, despite his genius and flair, could even touch him significantly. This is because martial arts adopts a holistic approach to health, and an emphasis of correct technique. It is more than about fitness of looking good - it is a lifestyle until you die. I wonder how many bodybuilders can say that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home