Friday, August 25, 2006

Consolation for the terminally ill.

I am doing a course at uni called Death and Dying. It is classified as a religion course, but focuses more on counselling and pallative care for the terminally ill. I am writing a narrative for my critical essay which requires me to write a short story of a terminally ill person who reconciles with death through a certain religious tradition. I've been writing a lot about Christian theology recently, so I decided to focus on Pure Land Buddhism this time. I will post the narrative when I am finished.

It seems that the dying person must express at least five things to be able to depart the world without regret: "forgive me", "I forgive you", "thank you", "i love you", and "goodbye". Of course this is simplifying a lot - but for one to die without at least some kind of reconciliation with those most important to them is often a terrible end.

Western society is still very uncomfortable with discussing death openly. However there are encouraging signs when those without long to live are supported by both friends and family, their community, and often spiritually. Next week we will be studying "children and grief". I look forward to these very informative and often moving lectures. It sounds strange, it's uni after all, but I think it's safe to say that Death and Dying is a very unique course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home